Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

30 DC - Day 28

Day 28 - A picture of something you're afraid of.


My grandfather had COPD. He died a little over a year ago, gasping for breath. I don't remember him smoking, I honestly don't know when he quit, but he did smoke for years. I smoked off and on for 25 years. I managed to quit for a few years, stealing the occasional smoke a few times a year. I started up again 2 years ago and immediately started having breathing problems. The thought of struggling to breathe, of not being able to breathe, terrifies me. I put down my cigarettes the day before Thanksgiving 2010. I did sneak a few in the first 2 months, being around friends who smoke was just too hard. But as soon as I started having asthma attacks again I quickly strengthened my resolve and have not gone back. Thankfully, the smell of cigarette smoke now makes me sick to my stomach, which helps when I feel tempted. I hope I never go back to smoking. Even more than that I hope I never have to experience what my Grandpa did.

No comments:

Post a Comment