Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

A pain in my.......

Thanks to my 18 lb. cat Brady and his habit of running through my legs to get ahead of me wherever I'm walking (because it must be somewhere exciting and he needs to get there first), I have been in full flare-up mode for 2 weeks. I think the worst of it was 2 days ago when the spasm in my neck/upper back kept me in bed with heating pad and copious amounts of medication. I was so miserable that I called Oaky and begged him to come over and give me a massage. Turns out the meds knocked me out soon after the phone call so he didn't need to come over, but I'm pretty sure I would have been poor company if he had. I think I was whining to the cats at one point, and even they covered their ears and ran away. Which I think was pretty rude, especially for Brady, seeing as it was his body that tripped me and sent me hurling through space. Cats have really poor empathy skills. I mean, he never even apologized. 

Having fibro really sucks sometimes. If you don't have it and are wondering what a flare feels like, please allow me to illustrate for you what you are missing out on. On a good day I may feel just a little achy, may take me a few minutes to get out of bed. I may need to stretch out in the shower but I can usually go about my day with relatively few interruptions. On a BAD day, however, I feel like I've been run over by a freight train. Then bludgeoned with a baseball bat. Then kicked by the schoolyard bully. Then rolled down a hill made entirely of big rocks. Then stabbed with a poker fresh out of the fire. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where I was headed on Monday.

It didn't get quite that bad but I have had days where it has. Those are the days when you look at that damn pain scale in the doctor's office and laugh because it doesn't even come close to depicting how you feel. As my friend Angela reminded me, the pain scale should look more like this. I think I'm going to print that out and bring it with me to my next medical appointment. Better yet, I'll print out the whole page and have it laminated and carry it with me everywhere, that way I can just pull it out and point when the need arises. Maybe I'll even have it translated into Cat-onese so my furry feline children will get it through their tiny little brains that Let's Trip Mom! is not a fun game for everyone involved.


2 comments:

  1. You could always levy food sanctions against Brady until he makes reparations. He really should have provided some aid and comfort.

    The pain scale you linked to is very funny. Having some chronic pain myself from time to time when my neck flares up, I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to remember, Brady is a special needs kitty. I doubt any attempt at behavior modification would work with him, but it's ok. I've forgiven him. He did cuddle with me yesterday.

    ReplyDelete