Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

*NSFW* TGFA - Thank Gods For Antibiotics!


The great mystery of the trouble "down below" has been solved and cured! If you've been following this blog than you know that I've been suffering from unbearable pain and other symptoms in that most unmentionable of places for a while now. We thought for a few months that it was the return of ovarian cysts, but the ultrasound was clear. So a little over a week ago I spent an hour and a half with the GYN and she did every poke, prod and test possible in an attempt to identify this problem. And thank goodness it worked. It turned out to be - wait for it -  a strep infection. WHAT???? Yeah, I know. Who knew you could get strep down there? And how does that happen? It was a definite WTF moment. Being the inquisitive person that I am I just had to research this.

The first thing I learned is that there is not enough information out there about Strep B (a different strain of Strep bacterium than what causes Strep Throat) in non-pregnant women. About 95% of the info I came across had to with Strep B in pregnant women, which, I'm assuming, is because pregnant women have compromised immune systems, which is the real culprit behind the development of this infection. I have diabetes, which is why my own immune system is compromised. I also learned that most women who suffer from this infection are asymptomatic - so the literature says. However, I am inclined to think this might not be totally accurate - we all know that medical research in the field of women's health is lacking. And with the plethora of OTC vaginal/yeast infection medications available, how many women are actually going to the doctor these days? Seriously, you can even buy an OTC vaginal infection screening test - which is supposed to be able to tell you if you have a yeast infection or a bacterial infection depending on your vaginal pH. So, many women are self-treating, but they may not be treating for the correct problem.

Anyway, back to the Strep... apparently it is one of those bacteria that lives in your body naturally, but if your  immune system becomes compromised, the bacteria growth can get out of control. Thank you, diabetes. After a week of antibiotics I am now 99% symptom free. A few pains here and there but nothing compared to what I was dealing with before. And if I hadn't had the presence of mind to keep after my GYN about this, who knows how long it would have gone untreated and what kind of damage it would have done? Ladies, PLEASE take control of your health. If you are experiencing symptoms of any kind that the doctor dismisses or can't identify, keep after them until they do. And if they don't/won't, go to someone else. Men are taken much more seriously when they complain of anything - which drives me absolutely bat-shit crazy. Let's face it, if a man went into his doctor's office and complained about pain in his penis (never mind discharge or bleeding) the doctor would be all over that shit and trying to solve it ASAP. Especially if said doctor was also a man. And they wouldn't be shushed for talking about it. It'd be all over the news. And his buddies would hold a huge party when he got better, celebrating the health of his manhood with beer and slaps to the back.

Not that I necessarily want a party, I would just like to be able to talk about my health, my body (including my vagina), without feeling a sense of shame or being looked at like I'm talking Martian. And so I have stopped censoring myself and I have started talking about it. And you know what? I wasn't struck by lightening, time did not stop, and the earth did not open up to swallow me. And if I get shushed, I just keep talking. Because no one has the right to tell me that I should be ashamed of my body, especially when it has to do with my health.


3 comments:

  1. Woot!! Thank goodness you finally got it figured out AND taken care of. And you can talk to be about vag issues anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very glad your feeling better, I could see every day how hard a time it was. Just as an aside, if my Penis had strep throat, or was coughing or whatever, not only would my friends not throw me a party, they would never know. Straight guys at least NEVER talk about each others penis, except in a pejorative way when we bust on each other.

    ReplyDelete