Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude


I woke up this morning in massive amounts of pain. Between tripping over the cat last week and hurling myself through space, and helping my brother clean the house on Sunday, well, let's just say my body was very angry with me. I had a Reiki client scheduled for this afternoon and I just knew there was no way I'd be able to go through with it.
  1. I'd spent the night at Oaky's., 30 minutes from home and the appointment place. So I'd not only have to deal with getting out of bed, getting dressed, and packed, but I wouldn't be able to medicate myself properly until after I drove back, and that would not do at all.
  2. I knew the pain would interfere with giving my client the treatment that he needed and deserved.
So I called my client and moved the appointment to tomorrow morning. I wrestled with the decision for almost 45 minutes and felt guilty afterward. But Oaky reminded me that I needed to take care of myself first and what kind of healing service could I provide to someone else if I was not fully present because I was in so much pain? Also, It'd be pretty much impossible to give a full body treatment in the shape I was in anyway, I could barely stand this morning. With that realization I felt grateful that my client was so accommodating (he usually isn't) and rested at Oaky's for the afternoon. I knew I had to get back home for the evening though because I had a friend stopping by to practice giving his spiel for his new job, and he was bringing his supervisor. When I got home I had 2 hours before they were expected so I planned to clean the apartment a bit and was feeling frazzled about that because I was still in pain.... then I walked through my front door.

What I saw melted my heart. All my stuffed animals (yes, I have a collection) were sitting on the couch and in the recliner, Gertie (my tiniest stuffed elephant) holding the remote to the TV and Damn Bunny holding the telephone. Laughing out loud, I made it to the bedroom where I found my stuffed turtle wearing my favorite pair of ladybug shoes atop my bed. Either Oaky had arranged this delightful scenario before he left my apartment yesterday (I left before he did) or my stuffies have suddenly developed higher intelligence and a need to party. Feeling more relaxed, I decided to take a nice hot shower, took some more pain meds, got into comfy clothes and laid on the couch. I managed to get a little nap in before a friend called (who was on my mind at that very moment!) and asked if she could use me as a reference for something - which totally made me feel good, so of course I said yes. Then my friend and his supervisor arrived and I got to help him with his new job. I felt so good that I could help him out, and so proud of him that he is doing so well and on this new path - he had a wonderful energy to him that I haven't seen in him for a long while. Plus, he is helping to hook me up with some Reiki contacts, and possibly a chance to earn my Reiki Master's degree!

I am blown away. The day started off precariously, with pain and guilt and shame clouding my thoughts. But as soon as I gave in to the need to care for myself and not please the masses, I was rewarded with joy and oppotunity! Sometimes the Universe just amazes me.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I think it is more believable that the stuffies developed higher intelligence, or have been intelligent all along and didn't say anything... just like the dolphins in HGTTG. "So long and thanks for all the fish".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a point there. But I don't think Gertie likes fish.

    ReplyDelete