So here is a list of stuff I have survived.
- Sexual abuse from age 3 to 11.
- Living with chronic pain and physical disability (fibro & arthritis) since I was 10 years old.
- PTSD, anxiety and depression since childhood.
- Being raised in an abusive religious cult until the age of 11.
- Constant bullying in elementary and middle school because of being in said cult.
- Being parentified at an early age due to dysfunctional parents & their divorce, as well as both having serious health problems.
- Coming out as bisexual at age 16 in a not so liberal town.
- Constant bullying in high school - I was a pudgy bisexual geek.
- Raped at 18 by trusted friend.
- The loss of fiancee (my first adult love) to suicide when I was 24.
- The loss of my best friend of 20 years due to a car accident, the same month as my fiancee's death.
- More than one physically and emotionally abusive relationship.
- Numerous stays in respite, 2 outpatient hospitalizations and 1 in-patient hospitalization for psych.
- The mental illness of my current partner, the love of my life, which caused us to break up for almost 2 years.
- The suicide attempt of my partner when we were not together, and his subsequent forced 6 month hospitalization.
- 7 years of college, part-time due to disability/anxiety/depression.
- A slew of other physical ailments (*see last post).
I really struggled with whether to post this or not. But in the end, I maintain that survivors don't give themselves enough credit for simply surviving. And when I get overwhelmed and think I can't do even the smallest task, like do the dishes or vacuum... well, then I can just point myself right back here and say, Girl, look at what you've survived! If you can't pick up that sponge or vacuum, you're just giving up.