Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Taking care of ourselves...

...why is it so hard to do? I have a friend who has a myriad of health problems including heart disease. With all the problems she has she should be on several medications. But she refuses to even take an aspirin for a headache, never mind anything else. I am not judging, far from it. I am guilty of self-neglect, too. I am diabetic and lately I haven't been eating well, even when I know I have already damaged my kidneys. I suffered with depression and anxiety for a year before I finally decided to go back on anti-depressants. I understand how hard it can be to do what we need to do to care for ourselves, but WHY do we let it continue for so long? And when do you step in where someone else is concerned and say "Hey, I'm concerned that you're not taking your meds/eating right/etc", and when do you say "Enough complaining already - shit or get off the pot!"? I want a manual. 


2 comments:

  1. Denial, DENIAL; with a capital D.

    Uncomfortable things are uncomfortable to think about, sometimes the mental discomfort is harder to tolerate the then physical discomfort perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true... sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete