Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Stuff that's wrong with me...

So, someone posted something about Invisible Illnesses on their FB today and it made me think - how many of these I.I.'s do I have? More than a few.  And some aren't easily talked about - in fact, some are very taboo. It makes me wonder why I am so hard on myself sometimes, when I have a "bad body day" (as I like to call them). It's pretty much expected that with a list like this one, I'm not always going to feel great.

Fibromyalgia/Myofascial Pain Syndrome/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Arthritis
Cervical Dystonia (neck injury)
Migraines -Atypical migraines with cluster, ice pick & tension headaches, possible Familial hemiplegic migraine (FHM) and predisposition towards Bell's Palsy
Asthma (result of a toxic mold exposure)
Depression
Anxiety/panic disorder
PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
Diabetes, Type II
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Severe shellfish allergy
And the latest and most painful AND taboo addition to the list: possible Pudendal Nerve Entrapment/Vulvodynia

I know you can't tell from looking at me, but I am usually in pain/discomfort of one sort or another. And I don't mention it all the time because when you are in pain 24/7 you get used to it and there's no sense in whining. But when I DO say I don't feel good, you'd better believe I mean it!

5 comments:

  1. All things considered, I am in awe of your strength and determination. I thought I understood what you've been going through, but I had no idea. I'll always be here, so if we need to change plans it's no big deal. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stacy, that means so much. I consider myself having very few true friends, lots of acquaintances, only because with so much baggage it's hard to open up time and again and let people get to know you enough so that they understand why you may not make it to movie night, or why you may have to cancel at the last moment on more than one occasion, etc. But here I am, opening up... so if you can understand and be patient and still be there, well then you are definitely a friend. :) Can't wait to see you, we will make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not down with the judgy phrase "wrong with me".
    We can both be really hard on ourselves, and do the whole shame game. Be kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right... I could have been kinder to myself with the title... Something I'm still working on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo you need to visit me. Seriously.....
    http://paleoautoimmunerecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete