Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

more survivor stuff

One of the things I think about is, would the rape I lived through at age 18 have effected me so profoundly if I hadn't already experienced sexual abuse during my childhood? I guess there is no way for me to know. In some ways I feel like it was the straw that broke the camel's back, as it were. But I have not met a survivor yet who has NOT been deeply wounded by even just one assault. That's all it takes. One time, and it messes with the rest of your life.
Today I choose to live and not let fear rule me. Just for today.

2 comments:

  1. Memory is a porcupine built one quill at a time. It may have one quill or a thousand. But is still a porcupine, and hurts.

    However, sometimes we experience the pointy one in a different way; because porcupines are also fuzzy. We have good memories too.

    Sometimes you get the quill, and sometimes you get the nuzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent metaphor (simile? whatever), very visual. :)

    ReplyDelete