Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Right now I am weathering out the snowstorm at my boyfriend's place. Yes. My boyfriend. After much thought, conversation, and therapy sessions, my ex and I have decided to give it another go. We broke up in June 2009 due to the strain his mental illness was taking on us, and me. During the time we were apart he has gotten treatment for his illness (Bipolar) and is rebuilding a life for himself. He is doing very well, actually, living on his own for the first time ever, getting back into his creativity (creative writing, writing and performing music, etc.) He's even just finished his first novel and is shopping around for an agent! I'm immensely proud of him. However, we have some obstacles to overcome. I have not told my family about the resurgence in the relationship yet.... I know they will be concerned and have questions and comments, as well they should. By the time the relationship broke up a lot of damage had been done. His behavior ranged from uncomfortable to downright inappropriate at times. But that was his behavior during a bout of severe mental illness not being adequately treated. Now, with the correct treatment he is back to the kind, funny, loving, creative spirit that I fell in love with 7 years ago. It's beautiful to see, actually. And I am excited for my family to actually meet this side of him, the true him. But that will take some time.

2 comments:

  1. You have a boyfriend? I'm crushed. I love the elephant picture! You could always tell your family that your dating an elephant, getting back together with me might then seem more sane to them.

    ReplyDelete